According to the World Health Organisation, obesity is a major public health problem, and it has more than doubled across the world since 1980.
The cause of obesity involves a complex interaction between genetic, behavioral–psychosocial, and environmental factors. Various treatments of obesity such as diets, exercise, medication and surgery have not been successful in treating obesity, and nearly all adults return to pre-treatment baseline within five years (WHO, 2000).
Given the failures of weight loss methods, an understanding of the psychological variables that impact the success of weight loss is essential to help people engage in lifestyle modifications and motivate them to achieve long term weight management.
Psychological interventions are key to engage individuals in lifestyle modification and motivate them to achieve weight loss in sustainable and successful manner. CBT has been recognised as the best-established treatment for obesity (Moffitt, Haynes & Mohr, 2015) and is considered to be the first-line treatment among psychological approaches (Wilson, Wilfley, Agras & Bryson, 2010).
This workshop is for practitioners who are interested in expanding their practice and offer their clients an effective method of helping them achieve a healthy lifestyle and manage their weight.
Lots of role-plays, demonstrations of interventions, videos, breakout rooms and interaction will help you to get the most out of the training. You will learn how you can help your clients solve common weight loss problems, motivate themselves, manage cravings and emotional eating, and find ways of developing alternative strategies for trigger situations.
You will also be able to apply Motivational Interviewing techniques to help your clients overcome ambivalence, help them stay motivated to make positive lifestyle changes. In addition, you’ll learn how to help you client deal with dysfunctional beliefs related to deprivation, and thoughts that sabotage their motivation and sense of self-efficacy.
• Understand the psychology of weight loss
• Neuropsychology of habit change
• Pretreatment assessment – establishing relationship
• Overview and background of CBT
• Overview and background of Motivational Interviewing
• Teach your clients about mindful eating
• Practical application of various CBT interventions
• How to restructure dysfunctional thinking
• Helping clients solve ambivalence
• Goal setting for weight loss
• How to apply Motivational Interviewing skills
• How to help clients stay motivated
• How to prepare clients to maintain changes
• How to increase your clients self-efficacy
• How to build motivation
• How to work with emotional eating/triggers/cravings
• How to work with reluctant/unmotivated clients
• Sourcing Intervention material
• Helping your client distinguish between emotional and physical hunger
• Interactive and hopefully some fun too
About the Speaker:
Susi Lodola is a fully accredited Psychotherapist with the Irish Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy (IACP) and works out of her private practice in Dublin, Ireland. She has completed many years of study in psychology, psychotherapy, Cognitive Behaviour Therapy & Motivational Interviewing and holds a Masters in CBT and Motivational Interviewing, BA (hons) Psychology, BA (first class honors) in Integrative Counselling & Psychotherapy, and a professional certificate in Mindfulness. To further her knowledge in applying CBT to weight loss, Susi has attended a 3-day workshop at the Beck Institute, Philadelphia.
Through her extensive studies combined with her own incredible weight loss and fitness journey, she has developed an interest in helping people achieve a healthy lifestyle and lose weight. This has led her to develop the MIND OVER BODY WEIGHT MANAGEMENT™ Programme, which comprises CBT interventions and MI in a manual format.
All art images are reproduced with the kind permission of Patricia Fitzgerald of Healing Creations. https://www.healingcreations.ie/